Thursday, June 4, 2009

New Directions (Connor)

As someone who teaches technical writing (workplace writing), I found this article very interesting and useful. And I am wondering whether or not I can use excerpts in my fall tech writing class. Many of the most popular textbooks for entry level tech writing classes devote some space to intercultural writing issues, but the exercises and information always feels a bit inadequate. It just isn't something easily captured in a textbook--thank goodness. There are parts of this article that would be accessible to my students. I realize as well that the intercultural nature of workplace communication should be a integral part of the course, not just a unit. But I am not sure I know enough to really teach the class as such.

1 comment:

Lisya Seloni said...

Robin, I think that's a great idea to include this into your technical writing class. As the diversity in workplace increases with the advent of glabalization, migration etc. students certainly will find this extremely useful. The DVD we will watch in class on Monday can also be useful in your class. If you're interested in this topic, I have some exercises/readings that you can use in your class.